Chelsea held off a spirited Fulham aspect to declare a treasured victory and transfer up to third within the Premier League.
The Blues took the lead early on when Pedro slotted house from N’Golo Kante’s move and so they can have had extra within the first half of had Sergio Rico no longer two times denied Olivier Giroud.
Fulham threatened to in finding an equaliser in the second one half of as Chelsea struggled for fluency, however change Ruben Loftus-Cheek made the win protected when he fired previous Rico after an intricate passing transfer with Eden Hazard and Pedro.
Defeat for Fulham manner they keep backside of the desk, having claimed just one level from a conceivable 24 clear of house this season.
Blues’ unbeaten house run continues
Chelsea bounced again from defeat via Tottenham with an emphatic Four-Zero Europa League win over PAOK Salonika on Thursday, and so they adopted that up with some other, albeit extra laboured, victory towards Fulham.
It took Pedro simply 4 mins to spoil the impasse as he tucked away Chelsea’s 1,000th Premier League function at Stamford Bridge and that set the tone for the primary half of.
The hosts ruled ownership within the first half of and so they can have simply had a 2nd on 24 mins when Giroud, who netted a double in midweek, noticed his low effort blocked via Rico.
And the Spain goalkeeper was once there to foil the Frenchman once more getting ready to half-time, as he stored Giroud’s sliding effort from Cesar Azpilicueta’s move.
However, Sarri’s staff had been not able to play with the similar fluidity in the second one length and they didn’t severely check Rico once more till Marcos Alonso’s whipped free-kick was once stored at the hour mark.
Second-half change Alvaro Morata then spurned a golden alternative after 73 mins when he fired over with the function gaping after Rico had parried Hazard’s low strike.
But fellow alternative Loftus-Cheek was once readily available to internet Chelsea’s 2nd of the sport, and save Morata’s blushes, when he scored his 5th in his previous six video games with 8 mins closing.
The Blues’ victory manner they’re now unbeaten at Stamford Bridge in 14 suits in all competitions, a run which stretches again to April.
Spirited Fulham fall brief
Ahead of Sunday’s sport, the Cottagers had claimed only one level from a conceivable 21 in away video games this season, and disappointingly for brand new boss Ranieri, they had been not able to greenback the fashion at Stamford Bridge.
There had been promising moments for the Cottagers early on, even after Chelsea’s first function, however neither Cyrus Christie nor Calum Chambers may just severely check Kepa Arrizabalaga, capturing directly on the Spaniard.
But it was once handiest after Ranieri presented Aboubakar Kamara and Floyd Ayite at half-time that the guests started to pose a major danger.
Kamara’s low move was once just about deflected into the Chelsea internet via Antonio Rudiger and Kepa had to make a nice save to stay out Chambers’ header from the ensuing nook.
And the Arsenal loanee drew some other just right save from Kepa in a while after, because the Spaniard dived to his proper to beat away Chambers’ curling effort.
However, in spite of the Cottagers’ perfect efforts, they had been not able to put their hosts beneath a sustained length of force, and Chelsea hung on to declare consecutive house blank sheets for the primary time this season.
Meanwhile, Fulham are the one aspect in England’s height 4 tiers who’re but to stay a blank sheet in 2018-19.
Man of the fit – Calum Chambers
‘Ranieri will have an excellent affect at Fulham’ – what they mentioned
Chelsea supervisor Maurizio Sarri on Sky Sports: “Today was once concerning the outcome. We gave extra consideration to the defensive section to win the fit.
“It was once an excellent response. Now we’ve to get started to beef up and play our soccer in a greater method. Ranieri will have an overly nice affect at Fulham, in two or 3 weeks they’ll protect really well and to play towards them in a month will likely be an issue for any staff.”
Fulham supervisor Claudio Ranieri to BBC Sport: “We sought after to play soccer however we made errors and towards giant champions you pay the whole lot for that. In the second one half of we modified gadget and perhaps we deserved to draw the fit.
“I am satisfied with how my players tried to make good decisions on the ball. I was happy to be 1-0 down at half-time, I changed it and we played better.”
Chelsea go away it past due (once more) – the stats
- Chelsea have scored 12 targets (out in their 30) within the ultimate 15 mins of video games within the Premier League this season, greater than some other aspect.
- Chelsea have not misplaced any in their closing 11 house video games within the Premier League (W6 D5) – their longest unbeaten run at Stamford Bridge within the pageant since August 2015 (a run of 21 video games).
- Fulham have conceded 35 targets within the Premier League this season – their joint-most after 14 video games of a top-flight league marketing campaign (35 in 1959-60).
- Chelsea are unbeaten of their earlier 17 Premier League video games towards Fulham (W10 D7), profitable each and every of the closing 4.
- This was once the 14th time former Chelsea supervisor has returned to Stamford Bridge in a Premier League sport and failed to win (D5 L9), with this being Fulham supervisor Claudio Ranieri’s third such try (D1 L2).
- Pedro’s opener for Chelsea was once their 1000th house function within the Premier League, turning into simply the third membership to achieve this landmark within the pageant after Manchester United and Arsenal.
- Chelsea midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek has scored 5 targets in his closing six appearances in all competitions for Chelsea, together with in back-to-back Premier League video games for the primary time.
- N’Golo Kante has as many Premier League assists this season (2) as he controlled in his earlier two league campaigns for Chelsea blended.
Chelsea go back and forth to Molineux to face Wolves on Wednesday, five December (19:45 GMT), and Fulham host Leicester the similar day (19:45).